Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Prompt 7

This experience has forever changed my teacher identity. I have taught several times before but this one stands out. It put me outside my comfort zone and gave me insight into a new group of kids. Growing up I thought of the ESL kids as standoffish and uninvolved with the rest of us. These kids gave me such insight in to a world I never even considered.
These children are such hard workers. They come in and although they are loud, in and out of their seats and just plain rambunctious, they want to learn. The desire to succeed is there and that's what makes me hopeful. One of my most favorite developments has been my two Portuguese girls. When I started teaching they had also just started class in an American class room. They spoke no English. The students were able to help them since they could understand their Spanish. I however, was left frustrated. Almost every time I was in class with them I could watch and see them falling behind. They didn't understand enough and when they didn't do something they just got yelled at in more English they didn't understand. It was hard to watch. Over the semester however, they have flourished. While they still need a lot of work in their English a favorite moment was when we were walking to library one day and one of the sisters turns to me and plainly says "You have a pencil in your hair." I cannot convey the happiness I felt for her. She could have never said that back in September. Near the end I really began to connect with the girls and with the use of my translator device I could further my help. Seeing this development has helped me vastly. First, I am now on my way to getting my ELL certification so that I may be able to teach an ELL class History. Second, it gave me hope. So often I see lazy uninspired kids and when I see how hard they worked and what resulted from it, I know that a change really can happen. Finally, it did also solidify my choice to be a high school teacher. While I adore those kids, I know I need to teach a higher level. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree TOTALLY! I loved teaching in my ESL class as well! And I do think that it is harder for the students who don't speak spanish since Spanish is the main focus. I have noticed a big difference too, in how more English is being spoken in the classroom. Of course, like in your class, mine was super rambunctious and loud, but I think that is just apart of the culture that teachers need to take into acount. I, myself, enjoy that classroom setting more than the silent independant study. I also see a lot of group participation in those types of settings. Sometimes the students speak in Spanish to eachother, and somethimes it is just gossip and things you probably shouldn't say outloud in English, but for the most part, the spanish students I've helped talk amongst themselves regarding English, and how to do some of the exercises. I've noticed that they are all very dedicated since the English language is so important to learn and to facilitate their futures. I think that they all realize this and make them better as a student. It helps them become bridges between cultures and make themselves the voices for other people who cannot learn English as quickly or for certain reasons. This is also why I am glad that you are getting your ESL certification because I also beleive that it is necessary for good ESL teachers and it is hard to find people with enough patience and enough leway in their teaching style to deal with students who sometimes cannot get their full point accross due to the language barrier. Overall I had a great teaching experience as well, and am glad I got to experience an ESL classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you caitlyn because I have also witness the desire many students have to learn. It is really motivating to see children come into the classroom and really enjoy learning what you as a teacher have to offer to them. Like the example you use with the pencil in your hair, I have also realized that by the end of my volunteering I have gained a connection with the students I work with. I have witnessed the students transform by the end of the semester to be much more comfortable working with me. As a teacher this is very important to make sure students feel comfortable working with you.

    ReplyDelete